Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

Welcome to Tuesday!

It's always way better than Monday, but (at least in my world) not as good as Thursday! On Tuesdays, I try to get a whole bunch of cleaning and such around the house done! So I spent this morning vacuuming, and cleaning bathrooms! Along with, of course, doing laundry and the dishes!

So I though in order to make Tuesday even more fun, I'd post about food - maybe I'll make it a weekly thing - Tasty Tuesday!

I do love food.

A bunch.

Which can be a problem, but it's been my goal over the last couple of years, to eat and feed my family healthier but still yummy meals!

Here's one - SIMPLE - meal that is a regular around here.

As a side note - before I show you the food - if you know me well at all, you know I do not like to bake!

Cooking, love it!

Baking, not so much.

Honestly, it just scares me - all that precise measuring and cutting butter into things and using the mixer. Scary. But for the sake of staying on "the plan" (that's the good eating plan) and adding some variety to our lives, I branched out a bit and baked some muffins.

Laugh if you want, it's OK. Because I know that to some of you, baking muffins is not a big deal. But let me tell you, around here baking anything at all -  that's huge!!! And they were yummy besides!

I was kinda proud of myself.

The first time I made them I followed the recipe (from Weight Watchers), which is blueberry-brown sugar muffins. The second time, and the one the pictures are of - I used strawberries. Just as yummy!


If I can make them, and make the eatable, anyone can.

First you mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl, and the wet ones in a separate bowl (I neglected to get a picture of those two bowls. Sorry). Then you fold the two together and you get this...



Spoon the batter into muffin papers coated with cooking spray. 


Last step, sprinkle a bit of light brown sugar on the tops. And bake!! 


This is just out of the oven. All warm and yummy goodness ready to eat. 

Since eating muffins is totally yummy,but not necessarily the healthiest way to start the day, I made eggs and turkey sausage  to round out the meal.

I do have to say, that when it comes to breakfast foods, my crew is easy to please. Scramble up some eggs, provide salt and pepper and your pretty much good. For that I'm thankful!


This one is mine. Scrambled eggs with salsa on top (cause I honestly don't really like eggs, but I don't mind them with "stuff" on or in them!), Butterball Turkey sausage, and a muffin!


And David's. The same, minus the salsa! 

Good simple eats! Add a mug of coffee and it's hard to find a better way to start a day!

Blueberry-Brown Sugar Muffins 
(from Weight Watchers)

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2    cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1/4    teaspoon salt
1       cup plain low-fat yogurt
2       tablespoons butter, melted
1       large egg
1       teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
1       cup fresh blueberries or frozen unsweetened blueberries (or one cup cut fresh strawberries)
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon light brown sugar 

Directions:

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Set aside. 
3. Combine yogurt and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Gently fold blueberries into batter. 
4. Place 12 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter evenly into prepared cups. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes or until lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Makes: 12 

Some nutritional information:
Calories: 144
Fat: 2.8g
Carbs: 26.3g
Sodium: 196mg

You must try to eat one while they are warm, they are really wonderful warm!  But they all get eaten even after they cool, so I guess they are good anytime!
 
 

No comments: