Thursday, May 17, 2012

Inspiration

I know it's been totally FOREVER since I blogged! (I seem to be saying that pretty often lately)

I've missed you all and I'm really hoping to get back into it on a more regular basis!

There's been a ton going on... with school, preschool, being a mom, getting ready for summer, working out on a regular basis again... I've let some of my "side things" (such as blogging) slip by without paying much attention.

But I have some new and wonderful ideas about posts I want to share and things I've been wanting to tell you! It's gonna be great! So to get us started I'm gonna share a small bit of inspiration I've had lately.

I've started running. Yes, actually chose to do that. All on my own. Well, ok not ALL on my own. I started boot camp a couple of months ago - and on the second (yes, just the second) day, we did the equivalent of a 10K. My boot camp is only 45 minutes long, so how you ask did be complete a 10K? Well we could do 2 miles on the stationary bike and the rest had to be run (jogged) or done on the 3 flights of stairs. 10 trips being roughly equal to 1 mile.

So I got in line with some of the other ladies and ran 2 miles. Yes, just started and off we went. Haven't really run since I'd say P.E class in middle school. I hate running. I forget to breath and end up with all sorts of cramps and such. But I'm not one to be outdone, so I ran with the rest of the girls! I completed it, and then 2 miles on the bike and the equivalent of one mile on the steps. Then it was time to get home (bummer, I know) and I still had one more mile to complete. Oh well!

So after that it was kind of like a game with myself to see if I could actually do it. You know, run alone. Not in a group, with other ladies, but all alone. So I went back to the gym, and ran 2 miles. All on my own. It was really kind of cool! To do something that I didn't think I could do - had never done before, it was good. I gotta be honest though, I didn't much like the running. It took all my effort to think about breathing and my toes got numb and I was panting like you wouldn't believe and the sweat - well, I won't gross you out! But I was proud of myself. And you know what, I went back and did it again.

And again.

And again.

Then I started to think about running an actual 5K. I talked to David about it, and he started running too. So we said we'd work on it and maybe run a 5K together. Well, David found one to run, but it was on a day I couldn't do! But that's OK, cause I've keep running. I also added a few outside runs. (I normally run on the track, inside, at the gym) It's a whole lot harder running outside than it is running inside! But I'm working up to longer and longer distances. It's been good for sure. Good for my body, and my mind and my confidence!

I wouldn't say that I like it just yet, but I don't hate it anymore.

My toes sometimes still get numb (usually around the 2 - 2 1/2 mile mark) sometimes and I still get cramps, and I'm still sweating like crazy, but it's all good and I'm proud of myself for doing it, even though it's hard!

I've also come to realize that it's a lot about the mind and not so much about the body! The body can - and will do - whatever the mind tells it to!

So, I've been inspired - and I'll be adding some more fun and interesting things to my blog about running, cooking, eating, outings and life in general! Maybe something you read here will inspire you!


No comments: