Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Where I come from...

Our trip to LA and then the cruise was a great reminder of just how big the world is! And how in some ways we're all just people and in other ways there are some big differences.

Let me explain a bit before I go further! Then I'll share a few things I was either reminded about or that I learned brand new!

Here in the South - as a general rule - people tend to be more friendly. By this I mean that lots of times when your out, shopping or walking or whatever, people will say "Hey!" (that's how we say hello here!) to you. Often times these are people who you don't know and they don't know you either. And I'm not just talking about the clerk at the store (cause I think more and more they are being trained to say hello, or welcome or whatever!), I'm talking about other shoppers... complete strangers... these people are likely to strike up a conversation or a general hello or whatever. That happens very often around here. And let me tell you, it took a lot of getting used to when I first moved here... but now it's the norm, and I wouldn't expect anything different at most places around here.

(Please note - I'm aware that there are rude people who live in the South as well! Not EVERYONE around here is friendly. I'm just saying most - not all!)

So the first thing I was reminded of - not all people in all places are like that. It's are rare thing around here to be driving down the road - even a very busy one at a busy time of day - and get the finger from another driver! It just doesn't happen that often! You might get a raised hand, or an ugly look or even a horn honk, but that would be about it. Every now and then you might get the finger, but again, rare. In LA - we dove there a total of maybe 12 hours... we got the finger twice. Yup - 2 TIMES! And both times it was for doing something NICE! Like slowing down to let someone change lanes and the second time was from some guy on a bike who was changing lanes, and when David slowed down to let him over, the guy just went off... yelling and giving us the finger! My goodness! So people in LA - at least on the road - aren't as friendly!

Second - you can take your small child out to breakfast in their PJ's and with no shoes on! Yup, it's true. Must be cause we saw like 3 little kids at breakfast at the bagel place we ate in their PJ's and no shoes. It was so strange to see that! We're pretty relaxed here in this area, but I've never seen children older than the age of say - car seat size - wearing their PJ's to breakfast. Fascinating!

Third - I have never see so many people outside exercising. There were people everywhere... on their bikes, or walking or running, or in-line skating... whatever, but there were tons of people outside! It was really interesting. I see people out in our neighborhood now and then, and there's even a guy who rides his bike some, but as a general rule, I don't often see folks outside getting their exercise. Some of it might have to do with the weather here, I'm not sure, but I'm telling ya, I'm just now used to seeing so many people outside to get exercise! It was kinda neat!

Next, most people on vacation are in a good mood! Lots of the rushing, and pushing and being un-kind to your fellow citizens goes away when you go on vacation! Most people are happy and in good moods.

That being said - body language is a powerful thing... observing a disagreement between and husband and wife - even if you don't speak the same language as them - it's pretty easy to get the gist of what's going on! No need to speak the language, I was able to get most of the issue just by watching!

Lastly, our world is VERY big! People from all over the world - from many different walks of life and in many different stages in their lives were on board the same ship as we were. It was neat to see and meet people from all around the globe!

I love traveling! This was a really, really wonderful trip and I was reminded of many important things, but I gotta tell ya, I was glad to be back home "where I come from!"

No comments: