Monday, June 7, 2010

Food

So it feels like it’s been about 92 years since I posted last! Hope everyone is well!

We’re dealing with some kind of yucky here with Avery. I thought it was just allergies, but after two nights of little sleep and a low grade fever this morning, I’m thinking it must be something else! Poor baby!

Also, I told you I’d keep you updated on the cooking thing, so here’s the update!

When we started we agreed to a 2 week “trial period.” Just to make sure it would all work out with me doing the cooking and the food being picked up and all that type of stuff. So technically this week would be the 3rd week, but due to scheduling stuff – we’re taking the week “off.” Anyway, the first 2 weeks went pretty well overall! It was a bunch of fun, and it wasn’t really a big deal to cook for 2 more people. Most of the meals I make are enough for 4 and the kids either don’t eat the food I make, or there’s way more than we need. We usually had leftovers, which sometimes did and sometimes didn’t get eaten. Well, that hasn’t been the case the last 2 weeks. It’s been really nice not having leftovers!

I only managed to take a few pictures one night. I meant to be doing that each night, but for some reason… I never got around to it! So the pictures from this night ended up being pictures from the only night there was a bit of a portion issue.

Do you know what it’s like to “just have a feeling?” Well, I just had a feeling when I looked at the recipe that there wouldn’t be enough chicken. But I put the feeling to the side (don’t do that, that feelings there for a reason!) and made dinner just at the recipe called for. Guess what? There wasn’t enough! I mean there was enough to eat – but really there should have been more, and there wasn’t. I was really upset! I sent the right amount to my guests, and David and I had some, but both of us ended up eating something in addition to the chicken we had.

David told me know to worry about it, but I was a bit upset anyway! I guess it’s just part of the learning experience, but each night I really want everything to be just right, and this night it wasn’t! Now I know, and I’ll listen the next time I have “just one of those feelings!”

Here’s the recipe that goes with the food you’ll see below! It’s a really yummy meal, and relatively easy to make!



Lemon – Rosemary Chicken
1 ½ lbs chicken breast tenders
½ teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
Directions:
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

While chicken cooks, combine lemon ride and next 6 ingredients in a small bowl.

Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Pour lemon juice mixture over chicken; cover and let stand 4 minutes.

I served this with Fresh Spinach Rice, which is even easier than the chicken!



Fresh Spinach Rice
1 (8.8 ounce) package precooked whole-grain brown rice (I used Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice)
Olive oil flavored cooking spray
¼ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups packed fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:
Microwave rice according to the package directions; set aside, and keep warm.

While rice cooks (which takes about 90 seconds!), heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.

Place spinach in medium bowl. Add cooked rice, onion mixture and salt; fluff with fork until spinach wilts.

So here are just a few pictures! I'll try to get some good ones next time I make a really yummy meal!

This is what I started with...



And here it all is in the oven being warm.

No comments: