Monday, February 22, 2010

Grounded?

What keeps you tethered to Earth? What keeps you grounded? I’m not talking gravity here… I wanna know what keeps you sane?

Life gets nuts sometimes, doesn’t it? I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard some guy on his cell phone saying something like “yeah, that’s really stressful.”

This was even more ironic because they are remodeling our Wal-Mart and stuff is NOT where it’s supposed to be and I was already kinda stressed out about that! They literally have isles of canned goods and cookies and juice and whatever else out in the middle of the store. Sorry, I digress… (Also, before moving on… I had Avery with me since she’s got croup and didn’t go to school today! So that added to the “stress” of grocery shopping.)

Anyway – that man on the phone got me thinking, isn’t everyone stressed about something most of the time? If you think about it – which I know I’m guilty of often only thinking about myself – other people’s lives are just as hard as, and sometimes harder, than my own. I mean really, I’ve got it pretty good.

Yes, it stinks that sometimes the kids get sick and no one gets enough sleep. Yes, I think it’s hard when I don’t get the time to myself that I think I want or when I have to pick up the same toys over and over again, or when the kids don’t obey, or when I’m totally sick of doing laundry and feel like I might go nuts! But when I step back from that and really look at what I have in my life – I’ve got it really, really good! And I’m very thankful for all that I have!

But even though my life is great (and it really is great!!!), some days just aren’t as good as others and I need a little something to help keep me grounded. Sometimes it’s as simple as a cup of flavored coffee (a little comfort!), or a funny YouTube video (a good laugh!), or the reminder of a promise of God’s faithfulness that I see on an index card I wrote! Other times it takes a bit more - like a hug from my Man! Or a call to a friend or on the really hard days a good cry and a nice warm shower!

So I wanna know is what is it that gets you through those hard days? And when I say hard, it can be as simple as waking up on the wrong side of the bed that morning and not having a good day or for some the bad days come with much more serious stresses… sickness, money troubles, job issues… whatever it may be… I am asking you to share the thing that helps you make it through the day with your sanity!

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.

Proverbs 3:3

Thanks for sharing!

3 comments:

Luke, Avery, Monroe's Nanny said...

Sometimes I feel like I have no grounding, and it's those times that I rely on my faith and I know that I am grounded through my Heavenly Father.

Holly said...

Yup, I feel the same way sometimes Mom! That's why I asked! Especially when not enough sleep has been had the night before (or several in a row!)! I know you understand that! I love you!

Jessi said...

Ugh...that's a tough question, especially since I'm having one of those days today!! Most often, Todd keeps me grounded I guess. He's usually objective and can gently help me get a better perspective, or sometimes knows nothing but some time and space is gonna help and sort of deflects life (like kids and phone calls and dishes and bedtime battles) just to help me hang on to my last ounce of sanity for the day. However, today he's as tired as I am, so what's keeping me grounded right now is just hanging on for dear life and hoping that tomorrow will be better! :/