Thursday, June 26, 2008

Memories

I’ve been thinking a lot the last few days about some childhood memories (some of this is thanks to my mom’s comment about the pool with my cousins when I was a kid!)! It’s amazing the different things I remember and all the wonderful times I had as a kid! I really had a great childhood!

With children of my own now I realize just how important family is. Most of my childhood memories (aside from the gymnastics and ballet ones) involve my cousins! We did a ton of stuff with the Buckwalter cousins and most of my memories have something to do with them. The memories range from the silly (such as talking “private eye”) to the really funny (like my Aunt Carol yelling “HONK” at another car while my mom was driving!). But some of them are general memories, and an example of what I mean by that is that we spent many a Sunday evening with the Buckwalters – I don’t remember exact things we did each time we got together, but I remember it was always so fun! We would get pizza from Vince’s Pizza in Boyertown and that was YUMMY! And then we would run off somewhere and play. I do remember that when we wanted something – such as spending the night together - we would always send Bets. Bets was the youngest and therefore was dealt with (at least in our young eyes) more leniently… we thought Bets could always get us what we wanted when it came to us girls spending the night together. I don’t know if she really was or not… how do you remember it Bets?

I also have really good memories of summer picnics at the pavilion behind my grandparent’s house. We would meet and eat there for Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day if I remember right. The worst part about this spot for a picnic was that the only place to go to the bathroom was the outhouse! The best part of this picnic spot was the creek. We would spend hours in the creek playing around, catching crayfish and in general loving being together. Those were days when my Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins would come together and talk, play games, eat, and in general enjoy each others company! Those are some wonderful memories! It wasn’t until I was a bit older that I realized the food was really great too!

What a blessing it is to have a strong Christian heritage, and I’m so happy to be able to pass that on to my children as well!

3 comments:

Bets said...

Alright - I'll admit it - I probably was a little spoiled! :o) I too have so many memories involving you guys! Poison Buggies; Singing "Back-up"; Creation....good times!

Holly said...

You were a little spoiled, but I'm not complaining! I got my share of the benefits from it!

Jessi said...

I've been reading, but haven't had much time to comment...but now that I have a minute, I just wanted to echo that I too cherish all the wonderful memories I have growing up so close to my cousins. It was truly like getting to have extra sisters!! I hope my kids get to have all the wonderful lasting relationships and memories that I do! (And it's looking like they will, thankfully!)