Friday, January 28, 2011

Learnin'

* It's a long post!!! Consider yourself warned.

I am sure I have blogged about this topic before (and if I labeled my blogs like it allows you to do, I could probably find it, but since I don't label them, I'm kinda outta luck looking for it!) but I am learning a few new things. Some about myself, some about those around me and most importantly about God and His Word.

See some days I wake up and I feel overwhelmed. Like I'm SO FAR from where God wants me to be that how am I ever gonna get to that place? How do I, all at one time, change all these different things about me? I know we're nearing the end of January and so most people are done thinking about their new years resolutions, but I've been pondering these few things for several weeks now, and I think the Holy Spirit has finally gotten to some parts of my heart!

See, when I look at all the things I should be doing. Praying for my kids - each one of them - every day - for ALL the things in their lives, praying for my husband and ALL the things in his life, and the business and our relationship and our finances and all our other decisions, and praying for my friends and their burdens, and praying for our country, and for our church and for family members and on and on....

That seems like a lot, doesn't it?

And I haven't even mentioned the personal changes God wants me to make.

There's a whole list of those too!!!

HOLY COW!

I cannot do this! There's no possible way I can do and be and act and become all that God wants me to be! It just cannot be done. It's too much. I'm already getting up at 5:30AM (when one or both of my children don't have be up before then!) and then I try on most afternoons to spend some time doing my homework for the Bible study I'm doing. How much more time can I set aside?

How much time am I watching TV? Or goofing off here on the computer? Or whatever? More than I should be is the answer to that.

But here are 2 of the big things I've learned since the beginning of the new year...

1) It's wise to ask God to help you work on just one thing at a time. I actually read this on Beth Moore's Living Proof Ministries blog. She suggested in a post back at the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011, that when we look at our lives and hearts that we ask God to help us deal with one issue at a time. And then not worry about how long it seems to take in dealing with said "issue". That was great advice, and I've worked very hard to take that to heart.

I chose one thing that I felt like I really needed to change in my daily life - and that was how I spoke to my children.

If your a long time reader, you know that I've mentioned before that my mouth got me into trouble often when I was growing up. It still does. Sometimes my mouth opens and words come out before I even know it. Stupid. People get hurt or I regret what I've said or whatever when that happens. Honestly I've come a ways with that, but not far enough.

I realized that often my kids talked in tones to each other that I just didn't like. Then one day - guess where I heard that same tone of voice? Yep, coming from my own mouth! No wonder they talk to each other like that. I wanted to make that a priority to change. So God has been working on my each day to help me remember that you get more with honey! Some days are harder than others. But God's been faithful in helping me remember and really control myself when I get upset with and need to deal with the kids.

Please don't misunderstand me, this isn't something I think I've gotten down pat. I'm just working on it, and I'm trying really hard, and God's been great to stay with me each step of the way, and I know He won't leave me alone to finish the rest!!!!

OK point #2...

2) When you ask for something from God like help, wisdom, guidance, anything really - we're expected to believe that what we asked for will happen. I discovered these verses in James the other morning. I've read them before, as I'm sure many of us have. But read past the first 2 verses and see what it has to say about asking for things from the Lord.

James 1:2 - 8
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Do you see that is says right there that when you ask you must believe and not doubt? How many times have I asked God for something and then thought - "Oh, well, I don't think He'll do what I wanted him to do, but I asked anyway." ? More than I care to admit. It's embarrassing really after reading these few verses in James. Of course, not ever time I pray do I think that, but honestly there have been times...

I'm working on that part of my faith as well. When I ask, believe! And do you know what? In just 3 days since reading that, I've gotten several very clear answers to prayer. God is just so cool and loving like that. He said "See, I'm here, I'm listening, and here's your answer!" He knew I needed a bit of reminding.

So I've been working to merge these 2 things together. My overwhelmed feelings and the truth of the Word that says simply - Ask, believe, receive. So no more stressing over "all the stuff I have to do or change or make better," just done day, one thing, one prayer at a time!

The Bible also says:

Philippians 4:19 (NLT)
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

There's no need to worry. God's got glorious riches and He wants to share them with me! Awesome, isn't it?


No comments: