Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Movin' out

It's that time of year again!

Christmas time!

It's the high spot of winter for me. I dislike winter overall. I love one or two good snows, but the many days of gray cold weather get to me after a while.

But Christmas offers a very bright spot in the cold grayness!

I don't know about you, but at the Winslow house we have a lot of stuff. We like to say it's a lot of kid stuff. You know, toys, puzzles, books and in general "things to do", but this simply isn't true. And I would venture to say it's also true for most young families.

This point was made VERY obvious to me on Sunday afternoon. I went in Luke's room to gather up some toys that we're happily passing on, and from there I moved to Avery's room. The intent was to move out the old in order to make room for the new that will come this Christmas.

I guess the "get rid of it" bug was catchy and David and I ended up going through the attic. This was a feat for sure! Honestly, I'd gone thru some stuff when we moved from our old house to this house 3 and a half years ago, but most of it just got moved from there to here and then not touched again. And do you know what most of the stuff was that I "sent on" was?

Yup - Christmas decorations!

Holy Cow!

How in the world did I get so much stuff?!?!? I mean really? There was a ton of stuff that I haven't used to decorate with in many, many years - like seriously, 9 years or so. I used them at the condo the first year we were married, and not since then. I felt like it was safe to pass that stuff on to families who needed it.

I of course keep things with sentimental value, and things from both mine and David's childhood, but other things that I haven't used in 9 years got donated.

From the kids rooms and the attic David took a huge stuffed car load of stuff to be donated! It's honestly nice to have some of it gone. The house feels bigger (weird I know, since most of the stuff came from the attic) and cleaner and now I have only the downstairs to do in order to feel like I'm really ready for the incoming things of Christmas!

I do love Christmas. Being with family, and sharing memories from the past and making new ones! But I also like feeling like I have room in the house God blessed us with and I don't feel like we have more than we need or not enough space for the things we have!

It also looks like we'll be redoing another room, maybe too in the house... stay tuned for more info on that!

No comments: