Monday, March 29, 2010

Holy Week - day 1

I’ve got this thought I wanna share with you guys.

Since yesterday was Palm Sunday – and this week is Holy week – I woke up thinking about what that means. I’ve decided to make a real effort to really think about Holy Week this year.

And so this morning, I’ve been thinking about Jesus. I’ve been trying to think about what the week before the crucifixion was like for him. Can you imagine? Knowing (that really had to be the worst part) what was coming at the end of the week as Jesus rode in on a donkey – being praised and honored - a whole week ahead of time. (Let me just say here – I know Jesus knew what was coming his whole entire lifetime, but I can hardly think about a week, let alone 33 years!)

See, I tend to be a worrier. I’m trying to give that to the Lord when I realize I’m doing it… and it’s getting better, but my nature is to worry.

When I think about what was to come, I just cannot imagine what Jesus was feeling? Was he nervous? Was he worried? Was he able to put it aside and act totally normal around his buddies?

The man was going to suffer untold pain and persecution and he knew it was coming!! I have a hard time knowing I have to go to the dentist for a cleaning much more than the day before – let alone be beaten, betrayed by those who were closest, mocked, spit on, treated worse than a common thief and NAILED to a cross, and then for your own father to turn away from you as you bore the sins of the world!!!

How would you make it through the week knowing that was coming?

Then the Lord reminds me of something I already know - it’s love. That’s how Jesus made it through the week. But even thinking about that kind of love is almost unimaginable – isn’t that a lot to get your mind around? It is for me.

But I know it to be true; the Bible tells me it’s true. John 3:16-17 tells us as plain as day –

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”

That’s a common verse and lots of people know it, quote it and never think about it. Take a minute and think about it.

Who in your life do you love enough to (here it is) send your one and only Son – to die for?

I love my family enough to die for them. ABSOLUTELY! But to have to send my one and only son, um – NO! It’s when I think about that kind of love that Jesus had for me – and for you - that I get overwhelmed.

That’s what I’m gonna think and pray about today.

The fact that God loves me enough to send his Son… and that Jesus loves me enough to come and suffer. I didn’t deserve that kind of love but I’m so thankful for it today!

As we go through this week – looking to the death of our sins on the cross – and the mighty resurrection of our Lord and Savior – I encourage you to really think about what Jesus did for you, and how much He loves you.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


Mark 10:13-15
13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

No comments: