Monday, June 15, 2009

Words of Wisdom

“The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction.”
Prov. 16:21

“A wise man’s heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction.”
Prov. 16:23

“Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting with strife.”
Prov. 17:1

“A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay to his bones.”
Prov. 12:4

“Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.
Prov. 21:19

These are just a few of the verses that I’ve taken the time to write down on a 3x5 card and put in my cute little box. Yes, I know many of you have heard, or been told that memorizing scripture is a good thing to do, I was told that too, even “forced” to do so growing up in school. But now that I’m an adult (or so they tell me), I’m really trying to commit more of The Word to memory so that when life happens and as my kids get older I can teach them right from the Word, I will already have some verses stored and ready to pull from.

Honestly I’ve never really read through the book of proverbs. Should have a long time ago! I have been since Mother’s Day, and it’s been awesome. Proverbs is kind of a “weird” book in that there is lots of wisdom on lots of different topics all thrown in together. It takes work for put together verses on specific topics if that’s what you’re looking for because they are all spread out throughout the book. But I have to tell ya that reading the whole book (I’m not done yet) has been really, really beneficial to me.

I started the commitment to read Proverbs back in May. Now it turns out that at church our pastor is doing a 10 week series – yupper 10 whole weeks – on the book! AWESOME!! Yesterday was week 2, and it was really good! If you would like to hear his sermon just click on this link. I love it how when God wants me to learn something He shows me it over and over and over again cause sometimes I’m a little slow on the uptake!!

Here are a few more verses that I have come to love… and some aren’t the happy, make you feel good kind, they are the convict you and help you do better kind!

“A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even tempered.”
Prov. 17:27

“Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
Prov. 12:18

“My Son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.
Prov. 3:11&12

“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”
Prov. 4:23

Last one and one that my parents tried hard to get me to learn and understand while I was growing up…

“He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.”
Prov. 21:23

No comments: