Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Decison


Welcome back!

Thanks for joining me again today.

Today I’m just going to share a few statistics that might surprise you. Or they may not, I don’t know. They surprised me all right! According to the CDC web site, more than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese. So what, you say. It's my body, and who cares if I'm fat (obese is the stat here, click this link here to see what is considered obese. It might surprise you as well!) well here's just one stat that should concern you. In 2008, medical costs associated with obesity were estimated at $147 billion. I don't know about you, but to me, that cost a WHOLE lot more than paying for a gym membership, or the increased cost of eating healthy.  

Then, if that wasn't scary enough -  Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years. An estimated 17 percent of children and adolescents (ages 2-19 years) are obese in the U.S. 

Wow, ya'll!! That's crazy! We can all think of some of the reasons this might be, but I'd like to throw a thought. Our children eat, and learn to eat what we eat. They learn the importance of (or lack there-of) exercise from us.

For me, that should have been enough to get me on the straight and narrow, but nope. I'd read those statistics all before (of course they have gone up in recent years), didn't care. Because frankly I had a million excuses. Many you've heard - some might even be your own "reasons" now. 

How many of these do you use?

#1 - I don't have the time. 

I don't like the gym near me. 

I don't have anything at home to work out with.

I don't have the money for a membership to a gym. 

It costs too much to eat healthy, it's way cheaper to eat "regular" food. 

I'm addicted to carbs! (or I don't like veggies, fruits, yogurt etc.) 

Once I'm at the gym, I don't know what exercises to do. And a personal trainer costs too much. 

I don't know what to eat that's better than what I'm eating now.

I don't know how many calories I'm supposed to have in a day.

I hate to exercise.

I like food too much to change my "diet". 

I don't have anything to wear when I exercise.

My family and my hubby (or wife) love me the way I am.

I have SUCH a sweet tooth, I cannot help it, I love sweets!

EXCUSES! That's all those are. Not actual REAL issues to keep you from moving forward with getting into better physical shape. You might have to come up with some creative ways to overcome the things that make it hard to exercise and make healthy changes - check out this article from the CDC on ways to do that. And I can say all that, because I used all those excuses and more! But again, that's all those are - excuses! 

There are a million reasons why you should exercise and take care of your body. Here is a great article that lists only 7 of them. There's tons of good information out there for you to read and to help you get started.  But honestly, you have to find it in yourself - for whatever reason or reasons work for you, to make the decision to change your lifestyle.

For me it started as a purely physical thing. I wanted to look better for my anniversary trip. After a while it became something more. I felt better - and not just physically, but mentally. When I finished a hard work out that I didn't think I could do - I felt good, really good, that I did it!  I was getting stronger physically and mentally. It became about living a healthier lifestyle for my children to see, to learn from, so that maybe one day they don't have to thing - "boy, I'm fat! How did this happen?!?!" And it became about being the best wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend and woman that God created me to be.

I know - I KNOW how hard it is to change. It's a daily - okay, hourly - okay - sometimes minute by minute battle. I get it!

It's hard! Sometimes it sucks!

It's not always fun.

I know.

I get it!

But it's also totally worth it!

Come back tomorrow for our next discussion. I'm gonna share some helpful tips and ways to start down the healthy path. And then on Thursday I'm gonna join the physical and the spiritual. Don't worry, no weird stuff... just some thoughts on what myself and the body of believers is and is not doing to promote healthy lifestyles!

And since today is Tasty Tuesday - here's a healthy recipe to give you something maybe new to eat! It's good stuff!

I found this recipe on Pinterest - here's the original blogger who posted it. I don't know this girl, but I think I'd like her!

I'm calling it simply

Quinoa Salad:
(Pronounced "KEEN-wah.")

I got mine at Costco!

  1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1 small shallot, diced (or 1/4 cup red onion, diced)
1/4 cup raisins or cranberries (or a mixture of both)
1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or almonds)
1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles (reduced fat)
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
the juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
2 tsp honey
salt + pepper

Here's How:
1. Prepare the quinoa according to package instructions - brings 2 cups of water to a boil, season lightly with salt, add the quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, preheat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan over medium high. Cook the bell peppers and shallot until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. * You can leave the veggies raw also, if you'd like!

3. In the bottom of a large salad bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt + pepper. Add the cooked veggies, the raisins/cranberries, chopped nuts, and cooked quinoa. Toss together.

Veggies


dry ingredients
Wet ingredients
cooked quinoa
half way ready!



And lunch was ready! It was YUM-O!!


4. Enjoy it warm as a side dish, or place it in the fridge until it cools.

** You could pretty much put anything you like in this salad. I followed the recipe, since this week I'm the only adult at home, but if I was to make it for David too, I'd add some chicken too!

It was super yummy and really filling!!!


No comments: