Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Birthday

When you're a kid, your birthday is a big deal! It's fun, it's exciting, it's a time to be special and get presents!!! Oh, who am I kidding... birthday's are FUN all the time! But I'm one who loves a good party! So maybe not everyone loves their birthday, I don't know.

Anyway - today is my sister's birthday.

Why is that worthy of blogging about you might ask? Well, she's my sister after all - and this is my blog, so reason enough for me!

Here are some of the thoughts I've had about it.

First, my sister is thousands of miles away from me.

Literally.

She lives in a very small town in northern North Dakota. That's mighty far from the little (which doesn't seem so little in comparison) town in North Carolina where I live! So for starters I won't see my sister on her birthday. Actually, I haven't seen my sister on her birthday is many years. For a while she lived relatively close to me, but we hardly saw each other. And then she moved to the beautiful mountains of NC and I didn't see her much then, and now, ND - well, we talked about that already! The older I get the more I think it's important to make a big deal out of all birthdays, not just my children's birthdays. So I'm sad I won't be seeing her to celebrate.

Second, my sister and I haven't had a close relationship for many years. We've made decisions about our lives that have taken us on different paths. Sometimes those paths were actually the same, just we were at different places in our lives when we walked them. So although we were close as youngsters, we went through a period of time when we weren't close at all.

That's changing a bit now. We can keep in touch easier now with today's technology. We have iPhones, so that makes the calling and face-timeing and all that nice and easy! And then there's FaceBook, so we can keep up with each other there too. But it's not the same. But I think our relationship is better than it's been in several years. I wish this year we could be closer so we could celebrate together! Be sure not to take your friends and family for granted!

So today - from thousands of miles away - I wish my sister a very happy birthday, and prayers for good things for the coming year!

Happy Birthday Little Sis! 

No comments: