Monday, August 2, 2010

Free Will

I heard this story last week, and it's one of those that sticks with you! I'm sure you know someone, or have heard a similar story, but hang with me if you would please, because I had a revelation.

Scenario (this is real, I'm not making it up!):

Single mom - not working (so living off the state!), has 5 children (by several different fathers) in her home. One of whom requires CONSTANT care due to the fact that he was shaken by his father as an infant (that's a whole different story). He's 14 now, in a wheel chair and cannot do even the most basic things for himself. So the children in the home range from age 14 to about 9 months.

The grandparents (who by the way have permanent custody of an addition child) take turns keeping the kids at their house for a few days at a time during the summer, just for fun and to spend time with their grand-babies. But after having one of the children with them they start to hear stories about lots of adult arguing and yelling and even some chair throwing at their house.

Next it's brought to light that the conditions in which the children are living are less than ideal (to put it mildly). The house is disgusting. It's dirty, there are dirty dishes everywhere, bugs all over the place, mold and mildew in the home.

Some of the children don't even have proper beds. They are sleeping on just box-springs. To make matters worse (can you imagine?), the mom who gets a boat load of food stamps - which is good cause she needs them since she has all those kids to feed, right?!?! Well, turns out she's selling them for cigarettes and or gas or whatever else she wants. What does that mean? You got it, the kids aren't eating all/what they should.



Can you even imagine that? I mean that's the kinda thing that makes me wanna pick up the phone and call social services. And cry the whole time I'm doing it.

These kids didn't ask for this. They didn't ask to be born. They didn't ask for this lady to be their mom. They are innocent in the whole situation.

While talking to David about it, through tears of course... David says, the only way I can make that make sense in my mind, why God would allow that to happen is - free will. Yup, I said, your right.

I hadn't thought of it like that.

But he's right. God made us with free will, so this mother is exercising her free will. As despicable as it is, that's what she's doing. I think about that for a bit (and here's my revelation), and (with more tears) I say - and that right there is what makes Christ's sacrifice on the cross so very special.

He died - carried all that pain and suffering and all our sins - KNOWING that there would those who didn't accept His love, forgiveness and salvation. OH MY GOODNESS - ya'll - do you get it?!?! Do you see how much He loves us? Loves you?

Cause the Bible says He would have done it for just YOU!

WOW!

That's some serious love right there.

So although my heart is still breaking for those children. And I'm praying a TON for them, and I have no idea what will happen in that situation, I know that God loves those kids - and that single mother - and that no matter what happens He is in control and He loves them beyond measure!

I'm soaking in that love today - and I hope you will as well!

1 comment:

Luke, Avery, Monroe's Nanny said...

Honey, you are so right on this!! God gives us free will and our sinful nature leads us down some pretty horrific paths. So often we don't want to take responsibility for the consequences of our actions. We keep God "at bay", sitting him on the shelf like a genie in a bottle, only addressing him when we are in great stress. So sad that's just not how it works! Children are the most vulnerable of all...bless their hearts. May some good eventually come out of this awful situation.

Love you!!!
Mom