Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Armor - the Belt of Truth

Putting on the full armor of God is something that most long time Christians are familiar with. It’s talked about in Sunday Schools, children’s churches, church camps, and Sunday sermons in many churches fairly often. It was a topic I was familiar with, and pretty comfortable in my understanding of, but God can always show us something new, and speak to our heart in a new and different way if we’re open to it! And that’s just what He did for me last weekend at the annual WHWC (that stands for Wendover Hills Wesleyan Church) ladies retreat!

Carla Bethune did a great job of presenting Ephesians 6: 13 – 18! And as all good speakers do, she added some creative things to make it interesting and funny for us. But the meat of what she had to say was so powerful you would have thought I was hearing it for the first time!

First we talked about being Powerful – so she talked about the Belt of Truth, the Breastplate of Righteousness, and the Shoes of the Gospel of Peace. We spent a good bit of time talking about what is truth? And is it ever OK to lie, or tell a half truth, or maybe just not the whole truth – in order to not hurt someone’s feelings? She pointed out that we as a society have lost our value of the truth! She’s right… she challenged us to think about how often we’re lied to in a day – whether it’s on TV, radio, political adds, whatever it may be – we as a society have lost how important it is to be truthful! She was so right! The Word says that God never lies – NEVER – not to spare someone’s feelings, or to make a situation less uncomfortable, or just because it seems easier to tell a small lie than to tell the truth!

So the first thing that the Holy Spirit thru Carla challenged me to do was take a good look – and be more aware – of how often I’m lied to during the day, and how often am I being untruthful to others during the day! I challenge you to do the same… I think you’ll be amazed at what you find!

1 comment:

Nan said...

So true. I reached a point a few months ago when I decided that I was tired of pretending with some things, well all things that I was pretending. I have tried to be truthful from then on. Some times it is really hard, but it is always worth it. Let there be light!